When hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney in Suffolk County, NY, you have the choice of a private or a public defense attorney. When you are faced with criminal charges, getting an attorney might be a difficult thing to do. However, you do not have to worry; the following tips will help you find a Criminal Defense Attorney in Suffolk County, NY.
The following are the things you should consider:
- Experience: The experience of a Criminal Defense Attorney in Suffolk County, NY is of great importance. This will give you better chances of your charges being dropped or your sentence being reduced.
- Communicating skills: Considering the serious penalties you are facing, you will need a defense attorney who will explain things to you in a simple manner. This skill will also provide advantage when arguing your case in a courtroom.
- Availability: While faced by criminal charges, you will need an attorney who will be available when you need him or her. Most of the time, you will meet with the lawyer outside the office or in custody. He or she should have free time to travel since you might not be able to travel to their location.
- Cost: As the client, you should be aware of the fees the attorney charges. If you have been given a lawyer by the state, then it may be free or costs may be lower.
- Honesty and privacy: An attorney should have a great deal of honesty when it comes to giving his or her client information. For example, the attorney should explain the consequences of you pleading guilty when you are innocent and vice versa. You do not want a lawyer who will give out information about your private life.
- Patience: An attorney should practice the virtue of patience while dealing with a client’s case. A Family Court Lawyer should also have patience when it comes to dealing with cases in a courtroom.
By taking into consideration on the above mentioned tips, the process of you finding a good defense lawyer will be made easier. This may be a stressful time for you so you should take care and consider your options before moving forward.