If you are looking to hire a DWI lawyer, there are various considerations that you should bear in mind. Knowing what questions to ask your attorney is important in helping you make the right choice. Remember, you want someone who will help you avoid conviction. In the event that a conviction is unavoidable, you need a DWI lawyer, Hillsboro MO who will help you get the best deal.
* What are your academic qualifications? Before anyone becomes a lawyer, they have to go through law school and pass a bar exam. It is critical that you choose a lawyer who is academically qualified. Ensure you ask your lawyer whether they have passed all the important tests. If you are not convinced by their answer, use the Internet to do a background check on them.
* What cases have you handled before? Choose a DWI lawyer who has adequate experience in DWI cases. Driving while intoxicated is a criminal offense and you are faced with serious consequences. As such, you do not want a novice who will gamble with your life. You want someone who knows what to expect and how to go about hurdles that may come along the way.
* What should I expect? Even though your lawyer may not know exactly what will happen in the course of the case, they should be in a position to brief you on the expected outcome. Remember, your DWI lawyer, Hillsboro MO has handled similar cases and is in a position to predict what the outcome will possibly be. You will feel more comfortable when you have an idea of what to expect.
* Should I plead guilty? Your lawyer will advise you on whether you should plead guilty depending on your situation. If this is your first misdemeanor, your DWI lawyer may advise you to plead guilty so that you can get a reduced charge and shorten the length of your case. However, if you are facing more serious charges such as intoxication manslaughter, your attorney may advise you to plead innocent until he/she can prove you so.
* What are your charges? Always ensure that you agree on the charges with your lawyer before you begin the process of contesting your case. Although you may feel that hiring a lawyer is an expense you can do without, it is better to have legal representation when you go to court. You need not find the most expensive DWI lawyer, Hillsboro MO. Just go for one who is competent enough.
Once you feel that the attorney has answered these questions adequately, you can proceed to hire them as your DWI lawyer. You will feel more comfortable when you are sure of what you are getting yourself into.