There are a lot of good reasons to make a booking with the local dentist, including teeth cleaning and cavity fillings. One thing that many people don’t realize is that the dentist will also be on the look-out for signs of any more serious problems, such as oral cancer. It may not be the most prevalent type of cancer or even receive the most funding for research, but oral cancer screening in Sutherlin, Oregon is an important part of general dental health.
Who Is At Risk?
Your local dental professional can certainly book you in for an oral cancer screening if you have any family history, but some groups of people are more at risk than others of developing it, including:
- Heavy smokers and people who chew tobacco, due to the cancer causing agents,
- A diet that is unhealthy and contains carcinogenic substances, such as fat and oils,
- People over the age of 40, especially men,
- Heavy drinkers,
- People who are often exposed to the sun.
It is important to schedule an appointment with your local dentist for an oral cancer screening if you want peace of mind.
What to Expect?
So, if you go for a screening what should you expect, and what will the dentist be looking for? The dentist will do a thorough oral examination and look for the following symptoms:
- Bleeding spots that are not healing,
- Patches in the mouth that are colored red or white,
- Lumps and hard areas in the mouth that may be painful or numb.
The tragedy is that the rates of oral cancer are actually increasing even in those people who are not in high risk groups, so it is always wisest to book appointments with your dentist regularly, just so that they can check. Click here for more information.