The loss of a loved one brings significant emotional and financial changes. If another person’s negligent behavior caused a family member’s death, their survivors may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Wrongful Death Lawyers in Bradenton FL will help families through these difficult times.
What Families Can Expect
While the attorney will handle most aspects of the claim, it’s helpful for family members to know what to expect during the case.
- Qualifying the case: Florida’s laws require proof of negligent acts. For instance, if someone drove drunk and caused a fatal accident, that would constitute a wrongful death claim.
- Eligibility based on relationships: Not everyone is eligible to file a claim. In Florida, a surviving spouse, an adopted or biological child, a parent, and other biological relatives can file a claim.
The decedent’s estate may also benefit. A wrongful death lawyer will be able to provide specific details.
Time is Limited
Florida’s statute of limitations for these claims is just two years after the date of the person’s death. The family must file the claim within that time period or they risk losing the right to compensation. In limited circumstances, the time may be extended, but such situations are quite rare.
Lawyers understand the emotional and financial effects of a family member’s death, and they will help surviving relatives ease the stress. The types of damages a beneficiary can collect depends on their relationship to the decedent.
- Surviving spouses may recover for loss of services, loss of companionship, and pain and suffering. They can also recover for medical expenses and lost income.
- Children can recover for the loss of parental companionship, guidance, and instruction (if they have no surviving parent).
- The parents of a deceased minor can recover for their pain and suffering.
- The person’s estate may recover their lost wages from the date of the accident to the date of their death.
How an Attorney Can Help
Confidentiality is crucial in wrongful death cases. The complimentary consultation is a good way for families to get to know the legal team and to find out what they should expect during the case. Call Luhrsen Goldberg Attorneys At Law to schedule a consultation with Wrongful Death Lawyers in Bradenton FL.