The phrase “you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours” doesn’t just apply to your association with people around you. It can also serve you well when you are working with the appliances you depend on. For instance, the better you take care of an air conditioning unit, the longer it will serve you.
If you live in Fort Myers and you’re wondering how to improve the efficacy of your air conditioner during our sweltering summers, there are a few tips to keep in mind.
To prolong your air conditioner’s life, get regular air conditioning service from professionals. General air conditioning service in Fort Myers can be done on your own as well, but if you come across something beyond your comprehension, get a professional to look into it.
1. Things you can do on your own are very simple, such as changing the filters. Ideally, air conditioning service in Fort Myers requires that the filter be changed every six months, but it also depends on your usage of the unit and manufacturer instructions. The easiest way of doing this is to pop out the front grill and remove the mesh filter. Some filters are washable and can be cleaned with warm, soapy water. But make sure to read the instructions for your unit.
2. Once a year, or before it’s time to switch it on for the summer, check the air conditioner’s evaporator coil inside the air handler to see if it’s clean. To clean the coil, you’ll need to vacuum it with a brush attachment. The same needs to be done for the coils at the back.
3. Before you turn your air conditioning on again, make sure that the area around the unit has nothing that could block its airflow. Make sure the fins of the condenser are not plugged. For certain types of air conditioning units you can do all this by spraying the condenser with a hose.
4. Most air conditioners are quite technically advanced now and use direct drive motors. It is still a good idea to check the belt of the air handler. Replace it if need be or simply just oil the motor bearings.
5. Another very important thing to check is the contractor which operates the compressor. These contractors can get pitted sometimes and will need to be replaced.
6. Make sure you clean and comb the fins as well, to straighten out any bent coil fins. Fin replacements are easily available at hardware stores.
If you come up against a problem that is beyond your expertise, it’s time to call in the experts of air conditioning service in Fort Myers, Dalo Plumbing and Air Conditioning. Either log on to their site the Daloplumbing.com for online assistance or call them to speak to someone today.