Stud welding requires the use of studs. A favorite metal is stainless steel. Weld studs of this nature offer a variety of benefits companies require to ensure longevity in harsh environments.
Types of Stainless Steel Studs Available
The term “weld stud” embraces different types and styles as well as qualities. While all bear the name stud, their variety is extensive. Among the many kinds are:
- Collar studs
- Concrete anchors
- Threaded studs – Fully or partially; coarse or fine; internal or otherwise
- Shear connectors
- Threadless studs
- Punching shear resistor (PSR) studs
- Reduced base studs
- Knock-off studs – After welding the knock-off stud in place, the welder removes (knocks off) top part of the weld stud
Why Choose Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel is a popular metal for construction. Along with aluminum and mild steel, it appears in a variety of products we see and use every day. From large structural ridges to appliances to small components in cell phones, stainless steel has a significant and highly functional role to play. When it comes to stud welding, stainless steel weld studs are popular for any of several reasons including the following:
- Corrosion resistance: Stainless steel exhibits different degrees of resistance to corrosive elements. Grade 302 stainless steel provides rust resistance, but it is lower in this regard than are both 304L and 316L. The level of corrosion resistance is the highest among 304L and 430L stainless steels
- Strength: Steel and stainless steel exhibit strength. Type 430L stainless steel stud welds are the strongest, particularly when the environment is one in which high temperatures are the norm
- Strong welds: Without a durable weld, the entire process is useless. In general, stainless steel studs produce strong welds. Yet, preference is for type 302 stainless steel is the result of its robust welds
Stainless Steel Weld Studs
Weld studs face less than optimal conditions. This requires durable construction. Stainless steel weld studs of different grades fill the bill admirably.