The joint that connects your lower jaw to your skull is called the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). It does a lot of work for your body as it helps when you eat and when you talk. If you suffer from a TMJ disorder, this could make life incredibly unpleasant.
Signs of TMJ
Experiencing discomfort with your TMJ can be caused by a variety of different issues. Jaw clenching is an act that could lead to pain, as can an injury, arthritis, or genetics. It may not be possible to determine the exact reason for your TMJ issues, but doctor that treat jaw clenching in Tampa, FL, can help you overcome the difficulties. Below are some of the signs that your ailment might be linked to your TMJ.
- You experience pain when chewing or it’s difficult to chew.
- Your jaw is tender or painful.
- It aches around your ear or you have a pain in your ear.
- You have headaches.
- The joint locks, making it difficult to close your jaw.
Treatment for TMJ
While it can be inconvenient and uncomfortable to suffer from TMJ issues, there are often things that can be done so that you feel better. The first step will be to go to a doctor or a dentist for jaw clenching in Tampa, FL, who can determine if jaw clenching is the cause of your TMJ issues. If so, some of the treatments you might receive include the following:
- Pain relievers and anti-inflammatories: These will reduce the amount of pain and discomfort you feel as well as get rid of any swelling that might be taking place.
- Mouth guard: If grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw is leading to your issues, then having a mouth guard may relieve the symptoms and help you break this habit.
- Physical therapy: Exercises will help you strengthen your jaw muscles so that you don’t experience TMJ issues or discomfort.
If you think you need TMJ treatment in Tampa FL, contact Bay Area TMJ and Sleep Center as soon as you can.